I don't think politics has anything to do with left, right, or center. It has to do with trying to do right by people.
- Paul Wellstone
As I have said so often before, the long memory is the most radical idea in America.
- Utah Phillips
My name is Devin Hogan and I believe no human being is illegal. I am 32 years old and live on Nicollet Avenue in the Lyndale neighborhood. I am a market gardener and small business consultant. I have a rescue cat named Kitty. I don't own a car. I am a homeowner and renter.
I moved here from Chicago in 2010 to start an intentional community and study International Development Practice at the U of M Humphrey School. There I learned how the global financial system drives trickle down oppression, including in Minneapolis and our parks. I have had the fortune and privilege to live and work in Liberia, Sierra Leone, Argentina, Hawaii, and Los Angeles, and have come to learn the only difference in global poverty is scale. I see the world through my liberal arts degree in Anthropology and Journalism. As the child and grandchild of small business owners, entrepreneurship is in my blood. I value treating workers right.
I am a fearless focused futurist. My career has spanned public, private, and nonprofit industries and I understand how each contribute to the common good and effect our daily lives. As a committed, civic-minded neighbor, I care that our city leads with dignity and decency. As a trained fact finder and analyst I build relationships based on listening. As a queer sexual assault survivor, intersectionality rules the world. I'm passionate about low-income housing (the Park Board has a seat on the Planning Commission!) and organizing white people to defeat white supremacy.
A Neoliberal Free Park Board develops policies that prioritize people. The parks belong to all of us. While we are proud of our system, we also know that Minneapolis is a tale of two cities. We owe our multiple national awards to both stolen land and the foresight of elected officials generations ago. Let's be good stewards of our rich public good for the next generations. Let's take climate action for racial justice.
Let's do this.
- Co-founder of Nicollet Market Garden Cooperative on Eat Street South
- Treasurer for Lyndale Neighborhood Association
- Director at MICAH: Metropolitan Interfaith Coalition for Affordable Housing
- Fair State Brewing Cooperative Member #020
- Published a weekly newspaper on a rural Hawaiian island as an intern
- Four years of business development and advertising sales experience at an Internet 1.0 startup
- Ran research teams in urban Liberia and rural Sierra Leone
- Tracked down and interviewed in person a white collar fugitive in Rio de Janeiro (for college credit)